When someone dies, you may be able to apply for a ‘grant of representation’ (the legal right to deal with the person’s property, money and possessions) if you have been named the executor of the will. This right to deal with the estate of someone who has died is called ‘probate’. In the event of there being no will, the person’s next of kin, eg. the spouse (or civil partner) or children – can usually apply for a grant of representation. The law decides who inherits the estate if there’s no will. In order to safeguard one’s assets it is crucial to understand these terms properly and as always, in this case too, legal advice is necessary.